We went to a church in the morning. We must've stuck out because we had people walk up to us and ask where we are from. We even got a shout out in the morning announcements. It was pretty interesting church; very passionate in their worship style. I definitely realized how reserved I was.
The message was pretty normal to me. It was not the on-fire preacher that shouts a lot and sweats five minutes into his speech.
It was more like a message I was used to seeing back home.
We got to the Yellow House, a sight of comfort after staying in a sketchy hotel(in my opinion), and hung out for awhile. While tossing around the football outside I forgot what it was like to sweat standing in the sun.
Other teams arrived. One from Alabama, another from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Pretty sweet to have another northern team with us.
Then it was orientation, which included a prayer concert. It involves singing and clapping and praying out loud and silently. Prayer is cool because you can do it in many unconventional ways.
After orientation was dinner. We ate at Voodoo BBQ. I got briscuit. It was okay. I didn't try the sauce, which was a mistake.
Then I played basketball. Man, am I bad at basketball. I made some baskets, but after airballing a couple in a row its hard not to get down on yourself.
Was I sent to N.O. just to play basketball? I dunno. Did I have fun? Yeah, but ask me tomorrow after I wake up at 7am if it was worth it.
I believe in the little things. Meaning, I believe the little things can make a big impact, even without realizing it. Yes, I got sweaty and scraped my elbow and yes, my legs will be sore tomorrow. But will it make an impact? That's to be decided.
Tomorrow is work day number one. Who knows how that will go.
I haven't made huge realizations if N.O. is different than it was two years ago. It's a different perspective being a team leader. I have other tasks other than just being there. I'm a little overwhelmed with all this information.
But now I am sitting here in the Yellow House kitchen alone just writing a blog on my phone. I love it, although it would be nice having another person journaling with me.
I wonder if I turn off all the lights when I'm done with this blog?
No comments:
Post a Comment